Amongst my many involvements in Redditch history, I am a volunteer at Forge Mill Needle Museum, and I organise, on behalf of the museum volunteers, our Heritage Open Day in September as part of the National ‘Heritage Open Days’ events calendar.
This has been active for many years and we have had a linked event for more than 5 years.
Heritage Open Days 2020 can be found at https://www.heritageopendays.org.uk/
This year, due to the current Covid19 situation, it is not possible to have a live event.
However, Heritage Open Days decided that this year’s festival should still go ahead, as virtual on-line open days.
We have followed this route and we have a ‘virtual’ Heritage Open Day at Forge Mill Museum with virtual tours of the Abbey Site and the Needle Museum, we have showcased our regular community group supporters and there are also other activities.
Unlike the live event, the Open Day will be more than one day and will run over the full Heritage Open Day period from 11th -20th September 2020.
The link can be found on the Heritage Open Days site at
- Virtual guided walk around the Bordesley Abbey site
- Virtual tour of Forge Mill Needle Museum with its working waterwheel and scouring beds
- Online songs and music by Indigo Arts ‘lock down choir’
- Slideshow of previous displays of motorcycles by the regional Royal Enfield Owners Club
- Slideshow of working model boats by the Little Radford Model Boat Club
- Slideshow of an exhibition of local art by members of the Redditch Art Circle
- Plus ‘make your own needle maker worker’s hat’ from a newspaper, and other activities
There is a direct link to the site at http://www.hod2020.redditchmuseum.org.uk/